Important Notice: Our travel insurance policies now provide cover for Cancellation and Curtailment as a result of a COVID diagnoses, and Medical Expenses incurred abroad as a result of a COVID diagnoses provided you are not travelling to a Country where the Department of Foreign Affairs have advised to 'avoid non-essential travel' or 'do not travel' subject to the policy terms, conditions, and exclusions. All other claims relating to COVID will be excluded. Please refer to the General Exclusions section of our policy wording for further information on cover for COVID.

Common FAQs

The travel agent/tour operator/airline company that I booked with has gone into administration. What should I do?

If you are an AbbeyAutoline policyholder and have lost your holiday, we will change the dates on your insurance policy to cover your new holiday provided you are not intending on submitting a claim. To arrange this, please contact our customer service team on 091545958 within 30 days of the travel company going into administration.

What do I do if my passport is lost or stolen abroad?

You should report any loss or thefts of passports to the local police in the country you are in as soon as possible. You will need the crime reference details they provide for the APS1 (which is the Lost or Stolen Passport Notification) form. You should also report the loss or theft to the Irish embassy of the country you are in. You can get details of your local Irish embassy wherever you are by visiting thewebsite of the Department of Foreign Affairs. The Irish embassy will issue you with replacement travel documents so you can travel back.

What do I need to take on holiday with me?

We advise that you take your travel insurance certificate and the relevant policy wording away with you. If you do not have these documents, please contact us on 091545958 or email and we can email these to you again.

How many times can I go away if I have an Annual Multi Trip policy?

When you buy one of our Annual Multi Trip policy you are covered to go away as many times as you want. Don't forget however that there is a maximum per trip duration of 60 days on the platinum policies and 45 Days on the Gold policies

Can we all travel independently on an Annual Multi Trip policy?

Yes, everyone on an Annual Multi Trip policy is entitled to travel independently, but children under 18 who travel alone must be dropped off and picked up by a responsible adult aged over 21.

What happens when my Annual Multi Trip policy expires?

We will write to you 31 days before your Annual Multi Trip policy expires to remind you that your policy is coming up for renewal. If you have any questions about your renewal, please contact us on 091545958 and speak to a member of our sales team.


What is the maximum age you can insure up to?

The maximum age we insure up to is 85 years. If you are under the age of 85 please call us on 091545958 for a quotation. Otherwise, simply buy quickly and securely online.

What are your restrictions regarding residency?

This policy is only available to You if You are permanently resident in Ireland and have been for the past 6 months.

Can you insure non-Irish residents?

No, unfortunately not. We can only offer cover to customers who are permanently resident in Ireland and have been for the past 6 months.

I've left Ireland and forgotten to get insurance. Can I still get cover with you?

Unfortunately, we are unable to cover you if you have already left Ireland.

Destinations and Regions

What countries do InsureandGo Ireland policies cover?

Please see Your Validation Certificate for Your chosen area. Areas are defined as follows:

  • Area 1: The United Kingdom (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man)
  • Area 2: The Continent of Europe west of the Ural Mountains, Madeira, Canary Islands, Iceland, the Azores, Mediterranean Islands, and non-European countries bordering the Mediterranean (except Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Libya and Lebanon)
  • Area 3: Worldwide excluding the United States of America, Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii
  • Area 4: Worldwide including the United States of America, Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii

What area do Egypt, the Canary Islands, Morocco and Tunisia come under on your policies?

The countries of Egypt, the Canary Islands, Morocco and Tunisia can be covered with our European travel insurance policies. Please note that Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon and Libya are not included in our European policies and can be covered on our Worldwide (exc. USA and Canada) and Worldwide (inc. USA and Canada) areas.

Where is Lapland?

The Lapland region stretches across Finland and Sweden and is included under our European travel insurance policies.

What if I am travelling to more than one country?

We can cover you to travel to multiple destinations as part of one trip. A trip is considered to be from the date that you leave your home country until the date that you return to your home country (or your final destination if it is a one-way trip). You need to ensure that the policy covers you for all the regions that you plan to travel to and certain terms and conditions will apply. For example, if you will be travelling to India, stopping off for a week in Bulgaria, you will need to choose the Worldwide (exc. USA and Canada) as this area includes both of those countries. For more information see our policy wording booklets or call on 091545958 to speak to a member of our customer service team.

I have a European Annual Multi Trip policy but I will now be travelling outside of Europe. Can I upgrade my policy?

Certain non-European countries like Egypt, Turkey, Morocco and Tunisia are included under our European policies. If you're not travelling to one of these countries you can upgrade your Annual Multi Trip policy to include worldwide cover for an additional premium. Please call our customer service team on 091545958 to arrange this. Alternatively, you can purchase a separate Single Trip policy but upgrading your Annual Multi Trip policy to include worldwide cover might work out cheaper.

Buying an AbbeyAutoline Travel Insurance policy

How can I buy a travel insurance policy?

You can purchase a travel insurance policy online in just a few minutes via Alternatively, you can purchase your travel insurance over the phone from one of our friendly sales agents. To buy over the phone, please call us on 091545958

What ages do I put down when getting a quote?

Please enter your current ages. It does not matter if you have a birthday after you buy the policy; we just need your ages at the time your purchase the policy.

If I purchase online, are my details secure?

We take data protection very seriously. When you submit your personal and payment details to AbbeyAutoline online, they are encrypted to ensure that no-one else can read them. You can confirm this by looking for the padlock icon which appears either next to the address bar or in the status bar on the payment page. We also hold your details according to the Data Protection Acts of 1988 and 2003. Please note that AbbeyAutoline Travel insurance do not hold your payment details.

How can I pay for my travel insurance?

You can pay for your travel insurance using a credit or debit card, or by cheque. We accept the following credit and debit cards:

  • VISA
  • MasterCard
  • VISA Debit Card
  • Laser Card

Payments by credit or debit card are instant but may take time to show on your statement.

When should I start my travel insurance?

If you are purchasing Single Trip or Long Stay travel insurance, you will need to start your policy on the day that you leave to go on your trip. Cover for cancellation on these policies starts from the date of purchase. If you are purchasing an Annual Multi Trip, you are only covered from the date you choose to start your policy.

I can't find a policy that's suitable. Are you able to advise me?

We can help you by offering you a range of different travel insurance choices to help you decide what might be appropriate for you. To talk through your options, please call us on 091545958 or email

I am having trouble paying online. Can you help me?

If you are having trouble paying for your travel insurance online, make sure you check all of your personal and payment details. Ensure you have selected the correct card type and entered your full card number. Check the expiry and/or valid from date has been entered correctly. Also, make sure you have entered the correct security code (CVC). This code is the last three digits shown on the back of your card over the signature strip.

If you are still having problems processing your payment, please contact us on 091545958.

What are my cancellation rights?

Once you have purchased your travel insurance, subject to the condition detailed in the note below, you are entitled to a 14 day cooling-off period. If you contact us within this cooling-off period, you are entitled to a full refund of your travel insurance policy, provided you have not travelled or made any claims on the policy. To cancel your travel insurance and claim your refund, you will need to contact us in writing or by e-mail.

To cancel by post, send a letter to:
Customer Service Department
AbbeyAutoline Travel Insurance
Ireland Assist House
22-26 Prospect Hill

To cancel by e-mail, send your request to  including the following details :

  • The main policy holders full name
  • The main policy holders Date of birth
  • The full home address
  • The policy number
  • A reason for cancellation
  • A contact number we can reach you on
  • An email address for you

How is my policy delivered?

We will deliver your policy by e-mail. We can also send you your policy details in a text message to your mobile phone. The e-mailed documents can take up to 5 minutes to arrive in your inbox.

What you're covered for

When does the cover begin and end on my policy?

If you have purchased a Single Trip policy, you are covered for cancellation of your trip from and including the date of purchase. If you have purchased an Annual Multi Trip policy, cover only starts on the chosen start date of your policy. For example, if you chose to start your Annual Multi Trip on the 1st December, you will not be covered if you need to cancel your holiday on any date before the 1st December.

What is the maximum trip length?

The maximum trip length for our single trip policies is 365 days. The maximum trip duration for our annual multi trip policies is 45 days on our annual multi trip Gold policy and 60 days on our annual multi trip Platinum policy.

What is an excess?

The excess is the amount that you would need to pay towards a claim. For example, if you make a claim of €100 and the excess is €60, you will only be able to claim back the remaining €40. The excess amount is displayed in the policy wording booklet.

What are the terms and conditions?

You must make sure that you read the terms and conditions of your travel insurance policy carefully so you know what you are covered for.  You can download PDF copies of the policy wording booklets (which contain the full policy terms and conditions) form the website or from the email received from us after you purchased your policy.

Are there any exclusions to the policy?

There are some exclusions that apply to the cover. To check the policy exclusions, take a look at the policy wording booklet that is relevant to the policy that you have/are interested in purchasing. You can download a copy of the policy wording booklet online or contact our call centre to obtain a copy.

Am I covered for cancellation?

All of our travel insurance policies include cover for cancellation of your trip. To read the terms and conditions that apply to cancellation cover, please read the relevant policy wording booklet.

Am I covered for foreseen events (e.g. planned strike action or forecasted weather)?

We are unable to provide cover for events that arise that were known about at the time you booked your holiday or purchased your travel insurance.

Medical cover and health conditions

Who do I contact in the event of a medical emergency?

Call our medical emergency line at +353 91 501643 . We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I have pre-existing medical conditions. Can I get cover for these on my policy too?

You can declare your conditions quickly and easily using our online medical screening system or, if you would prefer to speak to one of our friendly agents, call us on 091545958

What is a pre-existing medical condition?

A pre-existing medical condition is any condition for which you have received medical advice, treatment or medication. You must inform AbbeyAutoline Travel Insurance of any pre-existing medical conditions you have before purchasing insurance. To do so, you can use our quick and easy online medical screening system or you can call us on 091545958.

If cover is refused for my pre-existing medical condition, am I still covered?

If, subject to our simple medical screening questions, cover is refused for your pre-existing medical condition, we will only exclude any claims relating to that medical condition. The rest of your travel insurance cover will not be affected by this exclusion.

I already have a policy but I've recently been diagnosed with a new medical condition. What do I do?

If you already have a policy and there has been a change in your medical status, please call our customer service team on 091545958.

I have a European Health Insurance Card (formerly known as an E111). Do I still need travel insurance?

The European Health Insurance Card (which used to be called the E111) entitles the holder to free or reduced cost emergency treatment within the following EU countries:

Austria, Belgium, Cyprus (but not in North Cyprus), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom

Is dental treatment covered?

Our policies provide limited cover for emergency dental treatment to enable you to immediately relieve pain. Please refer to your policy schedule for the limits applicable to your policy.

Making a claim

How do I make a claim?

Making a claim with us is easy. To begin, you can download a claims form from our website. You will need to complete the claim form and send it to us with all the relevant documents (e.g. receipts, hospital bills etc). Alternatively, you can contact us by phone on 091501643 or by e-mail at Please note that you will need to notify us of your claim within 31 days of the end of your trip. Once you have registered your claim with AbbeyAutoline Travel Insurance, this time limit no longer applies.

I don't have receipts for my personal items. Can I still make a claim?

It is highly recommended that receipts are kept and provided as proof in the event of a claim. However, if receipts cannot be obtained, claims will still be considered provided there is some form of proof of purchase or ownership. If you have any further questions, please contact our claims team by phone on 091501643 or

Changing an existing policy

I need to amend the address or contact details on my policy. How can I do this?

If you need to amend the address or contact details on your travel insurance policy, please contact our Customer Service Department on 091545958. We will be able to amend the details on your policy at no extra charge and also resend the amended documents to you by post or by e-mail.

Can I change the names of the insured persons on my policy before I travel?

If you need to amend the name of one of the travellers before you go, you can do so. Please note that we would need confirmation of the name change (for example, a marriage or Deed Poll certificate). We can only change the name of a traveller, if their new name is reflected on their passport and we are unable to replace travellers with another person. Please contact us by phone on 091545958 or email  if you wish to amend a traveller's name.

Can I extend my cover while I’m away?

Yes, you can extend the cover on your travel insurance policy while you're away, providing there are no pending claims against the policy. Policies can be extended only once and only up to the maximum trip duration and you will need to pay an additional premium for the extended cover. If you need to extend your policy, please contact us by phone on 091545958 or email 

Winter sports

What activities are covered with your winter sports travel insurance?

We cover all of the following activities in our winter sports travel insurance:

  • Cat skiing
  • Cross-country skiing
  • Glacier walking or trekking
  • Ice skating
  • Mono skiing
  • Off-piste skiing
  • Off-piste snowboarding
  • Recreational ski or snowboard racing
  • Skiing
  • Snowboarding
  • Snowmobiling
  • Tobogganing
  • While taking part in off-piste skiing and snowboarding, you must make sure that the areas in which you ski or snowboard are considered to be safe by the resort management.

Do you cover mountain rescue?

Mountain rescue is covered on our policy provided you have paid the appropriate winter sports premium. This is subject to the policy terms and conditions

Do you provide travel insurance cover for a whole season?

If you are looking for cover for the whole season, you can be covered with our Long Stay policies, which can cover trips of up to 12 months. Winter sports cover is available on all of these policies

Am I covered if I am a ski instructor or if I am going to ski instructor school?

Unfortunately, we can only cover ski and ski training on a non-professional basis.

I have a question that isn't answered here. What do I do?

If you still have a question that you would like an answer for, please don't hesitate to call our Customer Service Department on 091545958 or contact us by e-mail on You might also find the answer in our policy wording booklets.